Yesterday, we hosted some friends for lunch and it was the perfect excuse (being the day before cinco de Mayo) to make enchiladas. But what goes with enchiladas as a side dish?
I wanted some kind of veggie and thought about what I could put into a salad to keep it simple (enchiladas can are delicious but time consuming to prepare). I thought about what would go with the theme (I love an excuse to pull out our Guatemalan place mats and Mexican inspired serving dishes).
The ingredients for the salad include (feeds 8-10 as a side):
- 50/50 lettuce + spinach mix (2 bags)
- 1 can drained + rinsed black beans
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 1/2 green pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 container plum tomatoes, halved
- 1 small bunch cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled lime tortilla chips
- lite ranch dressing (as desired)
To prepare salad:
- Empty lettuce/spinach into large bowl and layer toppings
- Add black beans, peppers, corn, tomatoes and cilantro
- Add chips and serve dressing on the side
Serve to your hungry friends (or scale back on the amount to make a personal size salad)!