It's true, her first birthday has already come and gone. I'll be sharing more about her birthday celebrations later, but for now here's the lowdown on our sweet one year old!
Maggie is quite the social butterfly these days. Whenever I take her to the grocery store or anywhere in public, she just loves smiling at everyone. Sometimes it seems like she makes a game out of finding the person who is least likely to make eye contact or return a smile with her and she just grins at them until they do acknowledge her. It's almost embarrassing...at least for her mom who does not like to be the center of attention. I tell myself she's making other's smile, so that is a good thing.
In the past month, she seems to have tried a lot of new things from holding her own sippy cup to holding things while crawling. Sometimes she carries things in her mouth while she crawls across the floor, which we don't encourage. Other times she scoot-crawls (I've yet to capture this move on camera yet) using one arm to move across the floor while seated and holding her object of choice. She can really move fast!
We've spent a good amount of time outside lately and she's loved every minute of that. Maggie likes splashing in her kiddy pool and also had her first time in a bigger pool with her parents. She was most interested in riding on an inflated raft while we pusher her around in the big pool.
- Her swing! Her dad installed a swing in the backyard and sometimes I think she could stay in there all day if we let her.
- Drinking cow's milk from her sippy cup. It only took 2 feedings for her to hold her own cup and she really seems to enjoy drinking her milk.
- Bouncing. She often bounces up and down while sitting on her own.
- People! (see above)
- Giving kisses. This just started in the past week or so and it's super cute. She leans forward with her lips tucked in. The only downside is that she has yet to save this for family and friends.
- She likes almost all foods, but seems to take weeklong "strikes" from certain things. This has happened with her beloved avocado and blueberries (to name a few).
- Being hot. I remember her getting quite fussy as a newborn when she got hot and it seems to have carried on.
- Wearing shoes. I've been trying to keep shoes on her more often, since we anticipate her walkingm but she takes them off the first chance she gets. It's no surprise since she never liked wearing socks.
I can't wait to share pictures from her first birthday party with you!
You may revisit the rest of Maggie's monthly updates: